It’s been a very long time since we last posted anything. I finally got the encouragement to do some baking again a couple days ago. The original recipe was green tea chiffon cake from a Taiwanese cookbook. But I made a little modification to make it chocolate. This is a non-dairy cake and I like it a lot. I hope you will like it, too!
Ingredients: 6 eggs, Kosher salt, cream of tartar, canola oil, cake flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, sugar, and water
Tools: kitchen scale, 2 big mixing bowls, mixer with whisk attachment, 2 7-inch Bundt cake mold or 1 10.5-inch Bundt cake mold
Ingredients for Part A:
- Egg Yolk 6
- Sugar 40 gm
- Kosher salt ½ teaspoonful (~3 gm)
- Canola Oil (or salad oil) 100mL (~ 80gm)
- Water 120mL (~120gm)
Ingredients for Part B:
- Cake Flour 120gm
- Cocoa Powder 25gm (or green tea powder 6gm)
- Baking Powder 1 teaspoonful (~4gm)
Ingredients for Part C:
- Egg White 6
- Cream of Tartar 1 teaspoonful (~ 3gm)
- Sugar 80 gm
To Decorate: Powdered Sugar
- Separate egg yolks and egg whites into 2 big mixing bowls.
- Part A: add egg yolks into 40gm of sugar. Then slowly add salt, salad oil and water into it until mixed well.
- Part B: measure all ingredients and sift them into Part A. Mix well. It will now be a good time to preheat the oven to 340°F.
- Part C: Add cream of tartar into egg white, then beat it until rough bubbles. Then add 80gm of sugar in a few different batch while continue to beat the egg whites until it shows stiff peak (i.e. when you hold the whisk up, the mixture will hold its shape and not be affected by gravity).
- Add the mixture from step 4 into mixtures from Step 3. Mix it just enough so everything is distributed evenly. Do not over mix.
- Prepping the Bundt cake mold: using a paper towel, cover the surface inside the Bundt cake mold with a thin layer of vegetable shortening (e.g. Crisco). Then dust it with all-purpose flour.
- Pour the final mixture into the prepped Bundt cake mold(s). Bake it at 340°F for about 40 to 45 minutes (if the whole batch in one Bundt cake mold, bake it at 300°F for 90 minutes)
- Once out of the oven, flip the mold(s) upside down and tap it on the cooling rack until it comes out. If using a paper mold, the cake does not need to be removed before cooling. Let it cool for at least 2 hours on a cooling rack. Sprinkle powdered sugar on top and serve! (Please note the powdered sugar will melt over time. It will be best if sprinkled just before serving)